I’ve finally started my journey toward a healthy lifestyle. As promised, I will be documenting my progress here. This is part one of Journey to Health.
I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard and read that the blogging community is amazing. I started this thing just shy of two weeks ago and the support I’ve received has been nothing short of phenomenal. Then, I find out that Laura from The Crafty Cat nominated me for the Liebster Award. Now,I am plain speechless.
What is the Liebster Award
Having started in 2011 and still going strong, this award is one that recognizes bloggers with under 200 followers. While this award does not have a “winner”, it is a fantastic way to showcase bloggers and give extra support and love. For me, the honor is huge and I am so happy to join the many receivers of this award.
Laura, thank you!
I first came to know of Laura, and by extension The Crafty Cat, when she graciously offered her advice about a question I had posed. Naturally, I checked out her blog and subscribed pretty much immediately. Her Sweet Potato Superfood Energy Bites are part of next weeks meal plan and I really want to smell that orange cinnamon hard lotion bar. As her tagline states, “If you can dream it, you can make it” and that is exactly what Laura is doing. I will be following closely and I highly encourage you to as well!
My Favorite Blog
Such a hard question! The Small Things Blog. The reasons are long and probably all relate back to what an awesome and open person she is. I found her due on Pinterest while searching hair and makeup tips, for which I can’t thank her enough. I’ve continued to come back time after time because her blog has grown into so much more and I can’t help but be inspired.
10 Random Facts About Me
- I have never been on a plane. It’s not that I’m afraid (okay, maybe I am a little), I’ve just never had the opportunity.
- If I could own a brick and mortar business, it would hands down be a small town restaurant.
- I snore, big time. Thank your lucky stars we don’t share a room – can you imagine listening to Darth Vader all night long?
- I used to sleep-walk. I’m not sure when I grew out of it but I once walked down three flights of stairs and to the park in the middle of the night.
- Keys are my enemy. I’m pretty sure they have feet and walk away any chance they get.
- Music is a big part of my life. I won’t win any awards but if the mood is right, I can dish out some mean karaoke.
- I am constantly rearranging stuff in my house. I may have a problem.
- I love to camp or be outdoors in general. Take me on a hike and I’m a happy girl.
- I plan to join my local volunteer fire department someday… when my kids are older.
- I enjoy watching Hindi movies.
Questions I received from Laura
- Why do you blog?
I love to write and this is a huge stress reliever for me. All my problems fade away when I’m writing or doing anything blog related. It is an awesome feeling to say that This Mayberry Life is mine. If someone is able to take away something from my experiences, it’s icing on the cake!
- How did you come up with the name for your blog?
I have a very Mayberry-esque address in a very small town. When I’m giving my address out, I am often questioned because it sounds unbelievable. My response to the disbelief is, “Yes, I live in Mayberry”.
- What is one food or drink you cannot live without?
Tacos, hands down. There are so many possibilities!
- What is something you are afraid of?
The state of the world. I’ll leave the heaviness here.
- How long have you been a blogger?
One and a half uplifting weeks.
- If you could meet any person dead or alive who would it be and why?
I have so many so I’ll go with my first thought. Laura Ingalls Wilder. I credit her for introducing me to my love of reading.
- Tell a memorable story of when you where a child.
One of the most memorable memories of my childhood was when my mom married my dad. Technically there should be a “step” in front of dad but he stepped in and accepted the role when someone else didn’t want to. So, he’s Dad. Afterward, while they went on their honeymoon, my sister and I went on vacation with our grandparents so it was a winning situation all around!
- What is your preferred social media platform and why?
Although I don’t use it for my blog at this point, I have to go with Instagram. I love me some Instastories and it allows me to engage with a lot of awesome people.
- What advice would you give someone thinking about starting a blog?
Take your time and research. There are so many talented and inspirational blog guru’s out there, heed their advice. Most importantly though, be yourself, let your voice be heard.
- What is your favorite holiday and why?
Thanksgiving. It’s still fall-like outside and it is the first of many family and friend gatherings to begin the holiday season and round out the year. Do I even have to mention the amazing food?
The Official Rules of the Liebster Award:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. They will thank you for it and those who you nominate will also help you out as well.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”.
- For the 2017 Liebster Award, I will be shaking things up! Write a 150-300 word post about your favorite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (This is optional, but if you wish to engage with your readers it’s a great idea to include random facts about yourself.)
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here or simply include the link below to the official rules website.)
- Select 11 questions for the individuals/blogs you nominated.
- Inform the people/blogs that you selected of their nomination for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post.
You can read more about it here.
The Flourishing Momma
With the Specs
Reality According to Rachel
My Questions for the nominees
- What is the most extreme thing you have ever done?
- What is that one post made by you that you like the most, and why?
- If you could ask one person one question, what would it be and who would you ask?
- Who inspires you to be a better person?
- How did your blogging experience get started?
- What is your favorite quote?
- What is one life lesson you will never forget?
- Who/what blog would you love to write a guest post for?
- What advice would you give to a new blogger?
- What makes you laugh out loud?
While I love to weightlift, cardio is not my favorite thing. I do it because I understand the benefits but it takes a lot of willpower. A good thing about this form of exercise though is that options are limitless – cardio machines, dancing, aerobics, biking, walking, running. Basically, you can turn anything into cardio if you have the mind to. Keep reading for a few ideas to get your heart rate up.
Sidenote – I talked about getting my healthy lifestyle back on track and the time has come to put my plan in action. Beginning Sunday, September 10th, I will be giving a weekly update that will include my workout split, macros, measurements, pictures and thoughts for the week.
Treadmill interval training
On the days I step on the treadmill, I really have to push myself to maximize my time. Interval training is the best way for me to get through the task at hand and have a little fun. This is my current favorite.
Quick -No Equipment- Workout #1
I don’t always have a ton of time so I like this one because I can get it done in 10 -15 minutes. To really feel it, repeat x 3.
Quick -No Equipment- Workout #2
My kids like to do this one with me to see who can last the longest. Anything plank related is harder than it looks!
My earliest cardio memory is Sweatin’ to the Oldies. There’s a piece of nostalgia for ya! What is your favorite form of cardio?
My family’s current food budget is $100 a week. It is a constant struggle to maximize those dollars while choosing healthy options. Processed, preservative filled foods are typically cheaper and one package of the stuff has more in it than the healthier variety. These items are delicious but… If I chose to buy only these foods it would go against my healthy lifestyle initiative so I’ve had to become a bit creative. My grocery tips to making sure the food I buy is nutritionally balanced and in budget are simple and effective.